Saturday, February 7, 2009

What's A Girl To Do?

Even if I let this settle, it'll lead to a little fight. Even when I get to meddling, I need to remember to remain polite. Oh well, what a letdown. ~ Barenaked Ladies

Well mystery solved. I just got off the phone with my friend ("Sara") who is rooming with Mike (remember Mike?) She called because she wanted to talk to me about "something." Mainly that she and Mike are dating. Uh...? So I guess that explains why he never called me back...because he was also pursuing (and dating and living with) my friend. Lovely.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to feel about all of this. On one hand, I now think Mike is an even bigger ass than I imagined was possible, so no real loss there. I mean, what decent guy pursues two girls who are friends? Seriously? Who does that? Jerk. And even if he wasn't "interested" in us at the exact same time, it would have been had to have been about ONE WEEK between when he asked me out and when he and Sara hooked up. Maybe even less time.

As for Sara, she "confessed" because we were out last weekend and I mentioned how Mike had asked me out, bagged on me, and then never called me again...and I was just going on about what typical guy behavior that was...guy hangs all over you one night, can't remember you the next, yadda yadda, blah blah. Oops. And, during the course of this same conversation, I asked her if she was dating anyone (and yes, I did ask). She said no, she didn't really have time to date because she is working full time and also going to school. So she LIED about it! Right to my face. That is disappointing.

Anyway, she was concerned that, now that she and Mike are "dating," it might hurt our friendship. Um. I don't know what to say to that. She swears she didn't know that he was talking to me and that I was interested in him. Now, I'll give her that she may not have known that he had asked me out, but to not know that there was some attraction stuff going on? Give me a break. She was on the pub crawl...when Mike and I were all over each other, holding hands, kissing, cuddling up on the Metro ride home. She was there!! And same thing with New Year's Eve...she was there! How could she not know?

Or maybe...how could I not know? Sara's boyfriend dumped her back in September and she had been having a rough time with it. The night of the pub crawl, well into the evening (after Mike and I had already coupled off and had had a few good make-out sessions on the dance floor -- which now grosses me out, btw), she and I popped in to the bathroom together. She starts going on and on about how great it has been to have Mike around since her break-up. So I said to Mike, "Sara seems to like you a lot," and he replied, "I like her too, she's a fun roommate." I even wondered enough to ask a mutual friend of our's a couple days later whether she thought anything was going on between Sara and Mike and she said no way. But...maybe I MISSED it. From what Sara told me, she and Mike started "dating" after New Year's, but if she was interested in him before that, should I have seen this coming?

Now, in the grand scheme of things...really, who cares? I'm not mad because I feel desperately hurt that the love of my life was stolen from me. I barely knew the guy (and he doesn't sound like a real catch anyhow). However, I do feel kind of let down by Sara. Or maybe I feel bad that I let Sara down...? Guys just shouldn't come between friends.

Ultimately, I blame Mike here. Even if he's not a player/asshole, he was the only one in this situation who really had all of the info. And he has now put Sara and I in an awkward position. Getting in the middle of two friends SUCKS. And gosh, if he just got lost in the throws of love, fine. He could have at least been HONEST about it. Instead, Sara has to make an awkward phone call after I make some random comment while out dancing with her and now I'm dreading having to hang out with my friend again. There is no way it will NOT be awkward, especially if Mike is there.

Guess I'll just hope that Sara and I can iron this out and I'll count myself lucky that I didn't get stuck with an ass like Mike (and hope that Sara finds someone better). Oh life just keeps getting more and more exciting!!

3 comments:

Athenaspal said...

Oh dear. And the even harder part about it is in a month, when they "break up," will they still be living together? Then, who will she have to talk to? Oy vey.

Anna said...

I know. She said they are "dating." How do you "date" someone you live with? Hmm. Who knows, maybe it will work out for them, but I remain skeptical. The whole situation is just...odd.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for linking to me!