Monday, September 1, 2008

Getting Started...

...even in madness, I know you still believe. Paint me your canvas so I become what you could never be... ~ Shinedown

My name is Anna. At the ripe old age of 33, I live in a cozy (read it: small) apartment just outside of Washington, DC, with my aging dog and crazy cat. I've got a small, but close, group of friends, a great family, and a seemingly interesting job.

To the outside viewer, my life probably seems pretty swell. And really, overall, this is probably true. Things are good. I like me, people like me, people want to be me -- I'm happy. Oh, except for the fact that I remain one-hundred-and-fifty percent single. (Did I mention the "ripe old age of 33" part?)

Don't get me wrong. I've had my share of relationships and been involved with some great (and not-so-great) guys. But I just haven't met "the one."

Being single isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it is great. I'm responsible to no one but ME (oh, and my pets). I can go out and have a good time and not worry about getting in trouble for it (and I do that...a lot). Sometimes, though, being single sucks. It is especially sucky as I get older and more and more of my friends get married off and disappear into the world of couple-dom. And it sucks as people (the coupled and married ones and family members) start looking at me (a "lovely" single girl) and wondering "what's wrong" with me. It's enough to give a girl a complex. Or...drive her to become a crazy serial dater (like me).

Really, I don't think there's anything wrong with me. I'm smart, funny, successful. I've been told I'm attractive. I certainly don't have a difficult time meeting guys, they seem to love me -- from my long hair and bright blue eyes, to my a** (which, btw, fits nicely into a size 4 pair of jeans). I'm a classic girlie-girl...I love everything pink and anything with bows. On the flip side, I'm a total tomboy...I'm obsessed with fishing and I actually like watching sports and know something about what it is that I'm watching. I also own a 40" HDTV and an XBox 360 (w/ Grand Theft Auto 4 -- which, btw, I got carded when I bought).

So with me, guys get a trophy girl and a buddy...what more could they ask for? So what's the problem? Tune in and you'll find out. I think you'll see that being single has its ups and downs and dating and isn't easy. (Most of) the guys I've gone out with are great...but not for me. Good news here is that I remain optimistic and entertained by all of my experiences. And yes, they ARE entertaining. So get ready...I'll be sure to have a few dates lined up and will let y'all know how they go!

No comments: