Monday, September 15, 2008

Does THAT Really Work?

Ooh boy, I'd love to help give enough rope to hang yourself, and watch the silly things you do. ~ Liz Phair

Okay, so I was walking to work this morning, as I always do. Today, I wore a super-cute black dress with my black-and-white polka dot platforms. And I was having a good hair day. When cute outfits and cute shoes happen to coincide with a good hair day, any girl is going to have a little extra strut in her walk. Looking good means feeling good...right?

Anyway, I was looking good, feeling good on my walk to work this morning. I got to the street corner and was standing, waiting for the light to change, when this pick-up truck with three guys in it pulls up next to me. One of them leans out and says, "So how much would it cost me to spend an evening with you?" Um...what?! Really? How exactly am I supposed to respond to THAT? "Normally I ask for $1,000 an hour, but for YOU big boy, I'll cut that down to $750"?

I just rolled my eyes (which were veiled behind admittedly ridiculously large -- but super-trendy -- sunglasses) and ignored him. The boys in the truck drove off laughing and I crossed the street and continued on to work.

But it did get me wondering...what is the point? At least one morning a week, I get honked or hollered at when I'm walking my dog. I should note that when I'm walking my dog first thing in the morning, I look like ASS. I've got my old, crooked glasses on, my hair is unbrushed, I'm wearing baggy, old clothes, and I'm barely awake. So really, why hoot and holler? Is it just to be funny? The "thrill" of it? Or do these guys really expect something to happen? Has it EVER worked? Has that guy in the truck ever asked that question of a girl and gotten a POSITIVE response (from someone who didn't happen to be a hooker)? Has a guy honking his horn at some girl walking down the street ever had her run desperately after him, arms flailing in an attempt to catch him and give him her number before he drives out of her life forever? I'm guessing...NO.

And for the guys out there, I can tell you that it generally is NOT a morale booster. When some dude honks at me, I don't feel all warmy and fuzzy and full of myself. I feel ANNOYED. Now, a guy who smiles and says HI when I'm walking down the street...that makes me feel good.

The hooting, hollering, honking tri-fecta makes me feel objectified and crabby. Things I could go without first thing in the morning.

No comments: